Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Recipes from Rue Royal...Memories of the Court of the Two Sisters

Today is a toasty one in Northern Virginia. The humidity can really get to you, though today it's relatively low at 50%. It seems like a good day to enjoy something light and easy for dinner. Since my mind is still in New Orleans (a.k.a. The Big Easy or Crescent City), let's take a walk down to 613 Royal Street to the Court of the Two Sisters  http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/

It was here where I first fell under the spell of the the wisteria. The Court of the Two Sisters restaurant features a beautiful old courtyard surrounded by luscious purple wisteria. I remember enjoying the Sunday jazz brunch here years and years ago. I was dining outside near the fountain, under the weeping wisteria, listening to the sounds of the jazz band playing inside with a mimosa in hand (also a first!) and eagerly sampling a huge hot and cold buffet of Creole dishes. It felt like I was in a magical place!  Of course, I gladly paid for a copy of their cookbook to take home as a souvenir. I still use it, especially this time of year when I need something cold and easy.


Tonight's menu will feature a light dinner of Cajun Pasta Salad and Steamed Shrimp with traditional  Remoulade Sauce.

Both recipes are from "The Court of the Two Sisters Cookbook, With a History of the French Quarter and the Restaurant"  by Mel Leavitt. You can find it on Amazon new for $10.85 and used for as little as $1.28 plus shipping ( I frequently buy my books here. Generally you can get used copies in excellent condition).

The recipes:

Cajun Pasta Salad

1 lb elbow macaroni
1 lb smoked sausage (I use low fat smoked turkey sausage. You may saute briefly before adding)
1/2 c red peppers
2 green peppers, diced
1 tbsp garlic, pureed
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 white onion, diced
2 tbsp Toulouse seasoning (combination of salt, white pepper, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper,
     paprika and thyme in equal amounts of 1 tbsp each).
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp Creole mustard (I use Zatarain's)
1/4 c white vinegar
3/4 c salad oil
1/4 c parsley

Cook the pasta in boiling water till al dente. Remove from the heat, drain, rinse and cool.  Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. The dish is best served at room temperature; however, chill thoroughly if preparing ahead of time and allow to stand for one hour till serving. Serves 6 large portions or 12 smaller portions.

If you like less heat, add less of the Toulouse seasoning. It's especially easy to make when you use a food chopper to chop all the veggies! Also you can cut the quantity of the ingredients accordingly. My husband  isn't too fond of peppers or celery, so I actually cut the recipe  by 1/2 and still had plenty (and he got a baked potato).



Remoulade Sauce

2 c Creole mustard
4 tbsp celery, diced
4 stalks green onion, chopped
1 tbsp paprika (I use Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika in the big red can)
1/3 c salad oil
1/4 c white wine vinegar
4 tbsp garlic, pureed
dash of salt
3 tbsp prepared horseradish
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
lettuce

In a mixer or blender combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Chill completely. Serve over boiled or steamed medium shrimp arranged on a bed of shredded lettuce. Yields 3 cups. You can also easily halve it as I did.



This is so much better than the pre-made remoulade sauce you can buy in the store! I also use a little Old Bay when steaming the shrimp to give it a little more spice.


I just love my little glass fish dishes. They are perfect for serving shrimp!

Happy eating!

No comments: