Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I've Gone Bananas (Again)!

My husband is always asking me to buy bananas when I go to the grocery store, but they aren't always used up before they turn spotted and brown, and frankly, I'm tired of making banana bread. I've made lots of variations on it, but lately it seems like I'm making banana bread at least twice a month. So now I'm looking at another (brown) bunch that needs to be re-created and I've decided to make a cake for a change.

This recipe is from the cookbook "The Modern Baker" by Nick Malgieri. He is a famous cookbook author and teacher of baking and pastry for over 30 years. Besides this book, I have another 6 of his cookbooks and his " Cookies Unlimited" one is one of my "go to" cookbooks during the Christmas holiday season.  Nick's Torta di Mele Ampezza was featured in my blog in October 2010.  



Adapted from "The Modern Baker, Time Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes, and Cookies" by Nick Malgieri, Copyright 2008

BANANA RUM COCONUT LAYER CAKE

Makes one 9" 2-layer cake, about 12 servings

Ingredients:
 
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened,
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 cup mashed banans (about 2 large)
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon dark rum (I used Gosling's Black Seal Bermuda Rum)



Ingredients- omit rum if desired

Set the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Prepare two 9" round cake pans by buttering the inside and bottom, then line with a buttered piece of parchment or waxed paper. (Why use parchment? First it makes things easier to clean and second, it also makes sure your cake doesn't stick).

For the cake:

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Mix well. Set aside.

Combine the butter, sugars, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer (I use my KitchenAid stand mixer).  Beat with the paddle on medium speed until lightened in color and texture, 3-4 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In another bowl, stir the bananas, milk and rum together until blended.  Decrease the mixer to lowest speed and add 1/3 of the flour mixture (why start and stop with dry ingredients? Click here).  Stop and scrape down the bowl and beater.  Beat in half of the banana mixture.  Repeat with another third of the flour, remaining banana, and then remaining flour.  Stop and scrape the bowl and beater. Increase the speed to medium and beat the batter continuously for 3 minutes.

Divide the batter equally between two prepared pans and smooth the tops.  Bake until the layers are well risen and deep golden, and feel firm when pressed in the center with a fingertip, 25-35 minutes.

Cool the layers in the pans on racks for 5 minutes, then unmold, turn right side up and cool completely on racks.


 
Fresh out of the oven.





Now here's where I decided to deviate from the recipe. This Banana Rum Coconut Cake uses a whipped cream topping and I don't have the room in the refrigerator to store a whole cake to keep the topping fresh. So I decided to go with something else. I thought a caramel frosting with walnuts would go perfect.

Recipe is from "The Lady & Sons Just Desserts" by Paula Deen, copyright 2006



Bobby's Caramel Cake (frosting part only)

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream, or more as necessary
1 16-oz box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts (optional). For even better flavor, roast them in the oven at 350 degrees; walnuts, 8-10 minutes, pecans,5 minutes. Watch carefully so they don't burn.
  
Ingredients for caramel frosting, very simple!
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in brown sugar and cream.


 


 Bring to a boil, and transfer to a mixing bowl.

 
Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat with a handheld mixer until it reaches a spreading consistency. At this time it might be necessary to add a tablespoon of heavy cream or more, if the frosting gets too thick. Just be sure to add the cream in small amounts. Note: I did have to add more cream, about a tablespoon as the frosting is quite thick. I added a teaspoon at a time. I also think next time I will sift the powdered sugar, I had a few little lumps as you can see in the picture.
 
Caramel frosting.


 Frost cake and sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired.


I must say that this cake came out perfect. And I couldn't stop eating the leftover frosting. 
This cake would make a lovely dessert for a dinner party or even an old fashioned picnic. This recipe is going to be a keeper!
 

My thought: For the original recipe, the cake will need to be kept refrigerated as the coconut whipped frosting will melt if left out. I would either make the cake for a large crowd knowing it will be gone or make it in a sheet pan so it will fit in your refrigerator better if you need to keep it for a few days. Or better yet, turn it into cupcakes!

 















No comments: